Words of sympathy during a time of loss can be difficult to create. You might not be in the mood to write sympathy card messages, and that’s why we’re here. We have collected a wide variety of condolence messages, quotes, and sayings for you to include in an email, paper card, eCard, or even a quick note to give to the bereaved. We invite you to have a look at our collection of sympathy message phrases and pick the most appropriate one for your situation:
- Short Condolence Messages
- Condolence Note Quotes About Losing a Loved One
- Condolence Message to a Friend
- Biblical Verses for Sympathy Card Messages
- Sympathy Messages for Loss of a Mother or a Father
- Words of Condolence for Loss of a Husband or a Wife
Short Condolence Messages
These sympathy messages are perfect for including in a quick email or note to let your friend or relative know that they are on your mind during this difficult time.
- We pray the love of God enfolds you during your journey through grief.
- With love and remembrance.
- We can’t begin to imagine what you are feeling, but let us share our heartfelt condolences.
- We know the day will come, but death always leaves us with grief.
- Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength.
- May the prayers of all people who love you bring solace to your soul.
- When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.
- May the passage of time heal your grief.
- May your memories give you peace and comfort.
- Thinking of your family with love and wanting to help in any way I can.
- May you be comforted by the outpouring of love surrounding you.
- I know this must be a very difficult and demanding time for you all. We are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.
- Our deepest sympathies.
- Forever remembered, forever missed.
- May God give you comfort in your time of grief.
- I am sorry about your loss.
- Sharing in your sorrow.
- Gone from our sight, but never from our hearts.
Condolence Note Quotes About Losing a Loved One
Words of sympathy from famous people can be a memorable way to express your condolence message. These phrases are from famous personalities across the spectrum.
- “Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It’s the transition that’s troublesome.” – Isaac Asimov
- “Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something, and has lost something.” – Jackson Brown Jr.
- “If you ever lose someone dear to you, never say the words they’re gone. They’ll come back.” ― Prince
- “The tragedy of life is in what dies inside a man while he lives.”– Norman Cousins
- “There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery.”– Dante
- “We shall find peace. We shall hear angels, we shall see the sky sparkling with diamonds.” — Anton Chekov
- “Unable are the loved to die. For love is immortality.”— Emily Dickinson
- “The death of a beloved is an amputation.”— S. Lewis
- “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” – Seuss
- “On the death of a friend, we should consider that the fates through confidence have devolved on us the task of a double living, that we have henceforth to fulfill the promise of our friend’s life also, in our own, to the world.” ― Henry David Thoreau
What to write in a sympathy card for a friend can be really tough. The challenge is to include words of condolence that reflect your special bond. Take a look at the following sympathy messages to find the one that suits the both of you (note that the feminine gender is used below, so please change accordingly).
- I know she was so special to you. I know how much you loved her. But, I guess God loved her even more. That is why He has called her up there in heaven to watch your back from above.
- We are saddened to hear of your loss. She was an amazing person to have around. I’m so lucky to have met her in this life.
- She was a great human being and will be missed for her goodness in life. Sorry to hear about the loss.
- What an exceptional person she was. We hope that you are surrounded in love.
- Though she is gone, she still lives in your heart. Cherish and treasure those memories for they will give you strength to carry on. My deepest sympathies for your loss.
- We may not understand why she had to leave us so soon but we pray that God will comfort you and lift you up. Our prayers and thoughts are with you during this painful time. You are not alone.
- It is not how long a man lives, but how deep that life is. In your pain and sorrow remember that. Our sincere sympathies.
Biblical Verses for Sympathy Card Messages
If the bereaved in question is religious, you might consider a condolence note with a traditional slant.
- “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Corinthians 12:9
- “The God of love and peace will be with you.” 2 Corinthians 13:11
- “Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5
- “Give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit.” Isaiah 61:3
- “Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.” Isaiah 40:31
- “As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you.” Isaiah 66:13
- “I will turn their mourning into joy, I will comfort them, and give them gladness for sorrow.” Jeremiah 31:13
- “Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27
- “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart, I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
- “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28
- “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:7
- “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:7
- “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me, your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” Psalm 23:4
- “Let your steadfast love comfort me according to your promise.” Psalm 119:76
- “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.” Proverbs 3:5
- “Neither death nor life, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8:38-39
Sympathy Messages for Loss of a Mother or a Father
It’s often the case that you don’t know someone’s parent so well, so we’ve collected words of sympathy that are a bit on the generic side. Of course, if you can, it helps a lot to customize your condolence message with something specific about the deceased.
- Your mother was a gift to everyone who ever met her. Sorry for your loss.
- Look up in the sky after the rain. She will be there. Colorful and pretty like the rainbow. Free like birds.
- You have to be strong. I know it’s difficult. Your moments with her are in your mind all the time, but listen, you have to keep them, for her. To be alive in your heart forever.
- Like the last light when the sun goes down. My condolences for your loss.
- There are difficult days coming, but you need to be an optimist. Pain for this loss never goes away, but at least you’ll keep her love in your heart.
- During this really hard moment, think about her life, the love she gave, the love she was given, and after the rain passes, just smile. For her.
- Remembering the positive impact he made on the lives of people. He was truly a good man. May God give you the fortitude to bear the loss.
- I know how hard it is to forget him, but you just have to stay strong and focus on the tasks ahead. May his soul rest in the bosom of the Lord.
- I am extremely sorry to hear about your loss. He has definitely left an indelible impact. Accept my deepest condolences.
- Although I didn’t get to know your dad very well, I know that he raised the best children to continue his good works. We will surely miss him. Rest in Peace (RIP).
- Your mom was such a lovely woman. I often think about all the times we spent together and all the amazing meals your mom cooked. She was such a pleasure to have around. I learned so much from her and will remember her always. I love you and am truly sorry for your loss.
- My heart aches for you and your family during this time. Your mother was such an amazing person and she will truly be missed. My condolences.
Let the following sympathy messages be your guide for writing something personal. Losing a spouse can be a heavy blow, so your words of sympathy should be especially heartfelt.
- The memories I have of your husband are some of my fondest. Every time I think of him, I smile. You and your entire family are in my constant thoughts.
- Sending love and courage to get through the coming days. We won’t ever forget your husband.
- We will celebrate his life and all the good he did. There will be tears but his memory won’t be forgotten. You have our deepest sympathy for your loss.
- Your husband was the definition of a great guy. He made time for everyone and was always a joy to be around. We can’t express how much we will miss him.
- I hope loved ones and family can help you find strength to get through what is an absolute tragedy. My sympathies for your loss.
- I will never forget what a great friend and Dad your husband was. I can’t believe he’s gone and wish you my most heartfelt sympathies.
- Your husband’s quiet strength and dignity was an inspiration. I looked up to him in so many ways. I’m going to miss him dearly and will be there for you whatever you may need.
- Nothing can truly cut the ties of motherhood. She is with us all still in love, memory, and family. Know that we are here to support you all through everything that may come.
- Your mother was someone whose light shone on everyone around her. That light is deeply missed. Take comfort in how much she, and your whole family, is loved in these difficult times.
- No words can take away the sorrow that you bear. May it be comforting to you to know that others care.
- There are so few comforting words when we need them most. The passing of the one who first introduced us to this planet and who loved us along its paths is never easy.
Sympathy Card Messages Made Easy
In addition to our ideas about what to write in a sympathy card, we also make the entire process of creating condolence message cards fast and simple (read this article for get-well card messages ideas). All you need to do is choose a phrase or quote and then visit our customized selection of sympathy cards. Here you’ll find beautiful templates and an easy process for building a personalized condolence message card.
Take note that we also supply other formats for your words of sympathy. You can, for example, commemorate the death of a loved one with a thoughtful memorial slideshow. We invite you to take a look at our wide range of products for sympathy messages and, of course, for life’s happy moments as well, at Smilebox.