Nothing says love on Valentine’s Day like a personal, meaningful message. Those cookie-cutter “Happy Valentine’s Day!” cards just aren’t going to cut it. If you want to make someone feel truly loved, take a few minutes to choose your words. It can be serious or silly as long as it’s straight from the heart.
And who says Valentine’s Day is only for lovers? Any friend or family member would be happy to hear how much you appreciate them. To get you started, here are some one-liners you can elaborate on for any type of special someone.
For a friend:
You can thank this person for being an awesome friend, and remind them how much you love and appreciate them. You can use humor and poke fun at Valentine’s Day, especially if you’re both single. Or simply say something heartfelt, that you hope they are happy and treated well.
- “Thanks for being the loyal and caring [friend] you are. Happy Valentine’s Day!”
- “Hope he spoils you. You deserve it.”
- “Someday, our princes will come.”
- “Valentine’s Day can be a tough day for people without a special someone. Thank you for making Valentine’s Day easy on me.”
- “We learned boys were dumb when we were young, so let’s be each other’s Valentine!”
For a family member:
Valentine’s Day is a great opportunity to remind people how much you love them, whether it’s a grandparent, sibling, or child. To make it extra personal, consider including a pet name or nickname, an inside joke, or a shared experience that was particularly meaningful.
- “Hope your day is filled with reminders of how much you’re loved.”
- “Thanks for all you do that makes my life happier (which is a lot!)”
- “Missing you and sending you a big Valentine hug!”
- “Valentine’s Day is a good excuse for me to tell you what I should tell you every day. I love you and appreciate you.”
- “Happy Valentine’s to one of my favorite people. Ever.”
For your sweetheart:
Think about how far you’ve come in your relationship since last February 14th, and how many Valentine’s Days you’ve shared over the years. There are plenty of ways to be romantic without sounding cheesy—especially with the help of a favorite quote or poem (or take a stab at writing some poetry of your own). You can be humorous, nostalgic, sexy or serious—the most important thing is that the words are sincere and speak to your relationship.
- “This will definitely be a kids-in-bed-early kind of night. XOXOXO”
- “I’m so glad I swiped right.”
- “Has it really been  years? I’d do it all over in a heartbeat.”
- “You sweep me off my feet and make me feel special. You have my heart.”
- “Tonight is all ours. I can’t wait to celebrate with you.”
When it comes to delivering your special message, both eCards and handwritten cards do the trick. eCards are useful if you’re not going to see the person that day, or if you prefer they read it on their own. Alternately, you can print your eCard and present it in person.
To browse Smilebox’s collection of fully-customizable Valentine’s Day card templates, click here.