‘Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;
And when St. Nicholas comes, he of course expects cookies and milk right? And what happens when good old’ Santa doesn’t show up at our house…someone has to eat the cookies, and that someone is probably you.
We all know that the holiday season is filled with holiday meals, cocktail parties and over indulgence. This usually leads to the unnecessary weight gain that we all dread. So this time, why not bake a healthy version of those delicious sugar cookies that the kids wait for all year long. I promise they won’t even know the difference.
When you take them out of the oven they will be crispy on the outside and moist on the inside and the best part, they are easy to make. Enjoy!
Healthy Christmas cookies
2 1/3 cups gluten free flour
1tsp baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 ½ cup powdered sugar
¼ cup chopped cranberries
1/3 unsweetened coconut milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup coconut oil
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees
- In bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt and cranberries.
- In separate bowl beat together powdered sugar, coconut oil (fully melted), coconut milk (at room temperature) and vanilla extract.
- Combine dry ingredients to the wet and continue beating until a dough forms.
- Form dough into a ball and store in the fridge in plastic wrap for 15 min.
- Remove from fridge and roll out the dough on the counter
- Use Christmas shaped cookie cutters to cut out shapes and place cookies on baking sheets.
- Bake for 8 minutes and remove. Let cool and serve!